Watermelon Fruit Basket Made Easy
What summer BBQ is complete without a little fruit? We’ve got a recipe that takes a few extra steps, but it’s worth the effort for a refreshing fruit centerpiece that will have your friends wondering where your mad hostess skills came from.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 large watermelon (preferably one that is wide and not very round)
- paring knife
- 1 ½“ – 2“ thick masking tape
- melon baller or spoon
- store-bought fruit chunks of your choice (pineapple, strawberries, apples, etc.)
- patience…and room in the refrigerator to keep basket chilled
Let’s Do This…
- Create the outline of your fruit “basket” with two pieces of masking tape (tape should be around 1 ½“ to 2“ thick). Identify the center of your watermelon, where the two ends of the melon are parallel to your body, and lay down a strip of tape going only halfway down the sides. Take another strip of tape and place it around the entire width of the melon for the rim of the “basket.” On this piece of tape you’ll need to trace jagged edges with a marker.
- Once you’ve got your outline secured, cut along the edge of the tape on the basket handle and then cut along the jagged outline you drew in marker (but remember not to cut the jagged line past the edges of the handle or your basket will become a bowl).
- Once your pieces are removed, take a melon baller/spoon and scoop out the melon inside. Place the scooped melon into a bowl and set aside.
- Fill the melon basket with pineapple chunks, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and scooped watermelon.
Pro Tip: If you have plans to carry this around like an actual basket, change those plans. If you do, the weight of all of the fruit inside will cause the handle to break and result in a lot of crying over spilled fruit. Trust us…
Was Your Fruit Basket a Flop?
Fear not, fruit lovers, because we’ve got an easy save up our sleeves! Grab some waffle bowls or cupcake liners, and divvy up the fruit between as many as you have. Voila, individual fruit cups! For an extra little somethin’ somethin’, add a dollop of whipped cream.
How about whipping up one of these delicious Cheesecake Dips to swirl your fruit in?