From the Vault: Chicken Pineapple Sandwiches
In celebration of the Radarange 50th Anniversary we unearthed the Amana® Low-Calorie Microwave Cookbook from 1980! Among many blast-from-the-past recipes, none of them made our mouths water like the Chicken Pineapple Sandwiches.
Give this recipe a whirl and let us know how they turn out — bonus points if you are still rocking a Radarange microwave.
- ½ cup diced cooked chicken
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp crushed pineapple
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- Dash of salt
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- Combine all ingredients, except the English muffins, in a mixing bowl.
- Spread one-fourth cup mixture on each muffin half.
- Place the four, open-faced sandwiches on a paper plate and cook in the microwave on for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
When the very first microwave ovens hit the market they were huge, clunky machines that took up as much space as a refrigerator. Eventually, the Radarange was developed as a smaller, more manageable model that fit on peoples’ countertops.
The Radarange revolutionized the way Americans cooked and folks were so into this new-wave cooking method (see what we did there?) that an entire line of microwaveable foods were born. Today, nearly 90% of American homes have a microwave* — popping popcorn, reheating leftovers and making mug cookies all across the nation.
Need a microwave to warm these tasty little sandwiches? Shop our line of Amana® microwaves!
*Ganapati, Priya. “Oct 25, 1955: Time to Nuke Dinner.” Wired. Conde Nast, 04 June 2017. Web. 23 June 2017.